By Bob Williams, MRVAC Treasurer
Birdathon is a fundraiser and we hope you will participate. It’s easy and fun! You ask friends and neighbors to sponsor you – an amount per bird seen or just a flat amount – then you go birding for a day in May. The money goes to MRVAC for educational projects to get kids outside and interested in exploring wild places. Last year we raised nearly $3800 during our spring Birdathon with 8 participants. This year we hope you will help MRVAC raise even more!
Here are some of the environmental projects that we were able to fund as a result of 2011’s Birdathon:
- Busing grants for the area schools that bring students to the Refuge for environmental education
- Funding to the Refuge to pay for an Environmental Ed intern for the summer
- Support for the 3rd Annual Henderson Hummingbird Hurrah
- Audubon Adventure Newsletter Kits for elementary school classrooms
- Binoculars for Richardson Nature Center and Lowry Nature Center
- Support for an Osprey Tower at Audubon Center of the North Woods
- Support for the construction of a Chimney Swift Tower in Rosemount
The dates for this year’s Birdathon are May 1st through May 14th. Participating birders should pick up a sponsor sheet at one of our monthly meetings or request one from Bob Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 612-728-2232. We recommend that you begin seeking sponsors as soon as possible. Put out the word to your friends, relatives and fellow workers about the great things that MRVAC is doing with the money that is raised.
You or your team can bird on any one day between the 1st and the 14th and can bird locally or anywhere in the world. The Birdathon is really a great way to combine the pleasures of birding with the rewards of raising money for some great environmental projects.
Thank you for considering becoming a participant. If you would rather not actively fundraise, please consider sponsoring one of your fellow MRVAC members.