Chip Notes: September/October, 2016 – Facebook & website; fundraising; grants
By Greg Burnes, MRVAC President
The MRVAC Board and membership is working to improve our ability to better share our mission, build relationships and have an even stronger influence in 2016/17.
- We are solidifying communications plans to update our website, Facebook page to ensure we can disseminate information more quickly and engage more folks that share our mission and passion.
- We are working on alternate ways to distribute the Trumpeter so we spend more of your donations on education and conservation issues, not paper and postage.
- With a change in Executive Directors at Audubon MN we are rebuilding our relationship with the entire Audubon network. The new Executive Director, Molly Pederson, covers MN, Iowa, and Missouri so we are now directly part of a much larger family. We plan on having Molly join us to talk about Audubon MN’s strategic plan and lobbying efforts.
- We will be looking for and will be posting volunteer opportunities on our new website and Facebook page. Please volunteer and get your friends and family to join. Every effort, no matter how small, will have a positive impact on an important habitat issue or environmental mindset of a student, politician, or business leader.
- We have one of our key fund raising events in November, the MRVAC auction. This event is fun and a great way to complete your holiday shopping in one evening. Please donate items or services and plan on attending.
- We will continue to entertain grant requests for organizations that align with our missions and goal. If you know of an organization in our area that is really making a difference please have them apply online or drop me a note (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you have any comments or want to share activities you are involved in, please visit and post your stories on the Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter (MRVAC) Facebook page or drop me a note.
Join the Environmental Action Committee
Help MRVAC make a difference for birds and wildlife – and the special places we like to visit. Learn more.
Treats needed for upcoming meetings
We always need treats! If you can bring a few dozen cookies, bars or some easy- to-eat snack to share at one of our meetings, please call Robin, the Social Chair, at 612-723-2633 or email to email@example.com.
Successful fiscal year for MRVAC
Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge is 40!
October 8th is the 40th anniversary of the establishment of the MVNWR. Read more about how the Refuge plans to celebrate.
Two bluebirds monitors needed
Do you want to help the Bluebird Recovery Project monitor nesting boxes next spring? Click here.
Let Governor Dayton know you support full compliance with the Buffer Law.
Plan Ahead! The annual Holiday Auction is November 17
MRVAC’s holiday auction is one of our primary fundraisers. We’re looking for items to auction off, including some “high ticket” items such as a weekend at a cabin, homemade meal, or a behind the scenes tour. Read more about how you can help.
Book Review: Birds of New Guinea
Have you ever wanted to know more about the different species of birds on this Pacific Island? Then you’ll want to pour over this new edition. Read more.
Old Cedar Avenue Trailhead updates
Work has been moving ahead this winter at the Old Cedar Avenue Bridge site. The City of Bloomington posts regular updates on the construction. Learn more.
Become a bird walk leader/co-leader
MRVAC is looking for people interested in leading or co-leading local bird walks. You don’t need to be an expert, just someone who knows a little something about birds and where to find them. Read more.
MRVAC Grant Requests
We’ll be reviewing grant requests in early 2016. If you know of an organization that fits the mission of MRVAC, read more here.
Raise money for MRVAC while shopping with AmazonSmile
When customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers. We hope you will select the Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter!